Last updated Thu Mar 17 2022
Prep time: 1 hr
Cook time: 1.5 hrs
Tofu steak is a Japanese rendition of American steak using a (rather good) custom barbecue sauce glazed over a slab of tofu topped with enoki and shiitake mushrooms.
- 1 block extra firm tofu (or as firm as possible)
- a few pinches of salt
- a few pinches of black pepper (preferably freshly ground)
- 100g enoki mushrooms
- 60g shiitake mushrooms (5-6 mushrooms)
- 3 cloves of garlic (or 2 large ones)
- 1 potato (can be reused)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp nigori sake (optional if you're underage) (creamy nigori is preferred)
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Drain the excess water from the tofu package and slice the tofu slab in half horizontally. There should be two identical flat tofu slabs.
- As much water as possible needs to be drained from the tofu - if the tofu is still wet, it will boil instead of frying. To drain the tofu, sprinkle both slides of each slab with salt. Then place the slabs preferably onto a rack or pan to drain and place something heavy on top of each slab to press the tofu. I usually use a heavier container (a pot or pan works just as well). Allow the tofu to drain for at least 1 hour.
- While waiting for the tofu to drain, prep the enoki mushrooms by cutting off the bottoms and pulling them apart by hand.
- Slice the cloves of garlic horizontally 1mm thick. (It's supposedly easier with a mandoline but I don't own one)
- Once the tofu steaks have been drained thoroughly, wipe each with a paper towel to remove any excess water. Cut the potato in half and rub the inside of the potato against each steak to coat all surfaces of the steaks with potato starch. This will add flavor and help with frying.
- Season both sides of the steaks with a generous amount of black pepper
- Heat a pan on low heat and add the oil and garlic slices spread out into a single layer. Flip the garlic slices until they've tanned and no longer bubble. Then transfer the garlic to a paper towel on a plate.
- Turn the heat to medium and place the steaks in the pan. Flip each after it is golden on one side (4 min). Once both sides are browned, transfer to a plate.
- Add both mushrooms to the pan. Cook until they turn brown (4 min) then move them out of the pan into a bowl or plate.
- Add the sake, ketchup, soy sauce, and brown sugar to the pan on high heat to bring to a boil. Wait until the bubbles get large (1 min).
- Add the steaks back to the pan and glaze them in the sauce. Then add back the mushrooms and garlic and coat them with the remaining sauce.