Last updated Mon Aug 22 2022
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40 min
Wait time: 40 min
A shepherd's pie is a hearty baked dish consisting of a mix of assorted vegetables topped with mashed potatoes.
- 8 large potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 white onion
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1 16 oz package of frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt (or garlic powder)
- 1/2 tsp basil flakes
- 1/2 tsp parsley flakes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 jar of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Peel and quarter the potatoes. Then begin boiling the potatoes in water until tender. Drain and mash in a mixing bowl when finished.
- While boiling potatoes, peel and slice the carrots. Then begin boiling the carrots and mixed vegetables until near tender. Drain and set aside when finished.
- Chop the onion and dice the tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, microwave garlic salt, basil, parsley, and butter for 20 seconds. Stir into mashed potatoes with salt and black pepper. Add the milk while stirring to make potatoes light and fluffy.
- In a pan, cook onion in oil until tender but not brown. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and vegetable/carrot mixture. Heat until bubbling.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a 9x9 inch baking dish. Drop mashed potatoes in mounds over the top, making sure the entire top layer is only potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered at 375 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Then let it cool for 5 minutes.