Indian Vegetable Lasagna
Last updated Sun Oct 30 2022
Prep time: 2 hrs
Cook time: 1 hr 10 min
This lasagna gives an Indian flair to one of my favorite foods.
- 1 white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp chili paste (for flavor)
- 1 tsp cumin
The following ingredients can be any type of diced vegetable. These will dictate the texture of the layers. I prefer these ingredients:
- 1/2 cup tomatoes
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1 egg
- 3/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzerella cheese
- a small quantity of olive oil
- 1 24oz jar of tomato sauce
- oven ready lasagna noodles (I used about 9 noodles)
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Finely dice the inner layer vegetable ingredients. The consistency of the ingredients will largely influence the consistency of the layers (if it's chunky, the lasagna will be chunky). I prefer a very fine dicing.
- In a pan over medium heat, carmelize the onion. Then add the garlic, chili paste, cumin, and inner layer veggies and cook for around 5 minutes. It should not be a wet mixture.
- Take it off heat and let it cool completely. The temperature and dryness of the mixture will dictate the consistency of the entire lasagna. I recommend pouring the mixture into a mixing bowl and placing it in the fridge for 30 minutes, otherwise the lasagna will be too watery.
- Add ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan into a bowl with a whisked egg. This will be the outer layer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add a small bit of olive oil to the bottom of a 9x9 inch dish.
- Cover the surface with a few spoonfuls of the tomato sauce.
- Cover the surface with cooked noodles.
- Cover the surface with the inner layer, then the outer layer.
- Repeat steps 3-5 until the top layer is the outer layer and no more layers can be added.
- Cover a sheet of aluminum foil with a dash of olive oil and wrap the pan with the foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Then let the pan rest for 15 minutes before serving.