Last updated Sun Oct 30 2022
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
- medium firm tofu
- two small bitter melons (they say bumpier melons give better flavor but I can't tell the difference)
- 2 large eggs
- olive oil for cooking
- pinches of salt/pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Cut the tofu into large ice-cube sized chunks and wrap the chunks in paper towels with pressure to squeeze out any additional moisture.
- Cut the two small bitter melons in half length-wise and gut the seeds inside. Don't be alarmed if the insides look yellow or red - those are natural colors. Then cut each half into semi-circle slices.
- Rinse the melon slices in a strainer and cover them with generous pinches of salt to draw out the bitterness.
- Whisk the eggs and set aside.
- In a pan on medium heat, cook the dried tofu chunks in olive oil until they begin to golden. Then take out and set aside.
- Rinse the bitter melon to remove the salt.
- Add the bitter melon and cook on medium heat (preferably with a lid) until the green color has dulled significantly. If the melon slices still have dark skin, they will be very bitter.
- Add soy sauce and add the tofu chunks. Then add a few pinches of salt and pepper and pour in the eggs. Mix for a minute until the egg has set, then serve.